Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Why do you believe in God?

This is an experiment. There will be no ridicule.

If you are a religious individual, and follow a religion that worships a single god (christianity, judaism, islam, etc.), I want to know how you would respond to the following question were you asked in conversation:

"Why do you believe in God?"

You may reply anonymously if you so choose. All I ask is that you leave a truthful, responsible answer. It can be as short or as lengthy as you choose.

If you are still asking, "Why should I tell an atheist like you why I believe in my god?", please understand that this is simply an experiment. I do not need to know who you are or your background history or anything else for that matter. I just want to hear the average religious individual's reason for believing in something I find incredibly impossible to believe in. I am not trying to 'find god' or anything close to it.

To leave your response, simply click on the comments link below this post and leave your answer. Thank you to anyone who participates.

UPDATE: Comments left that are not related to the subject presented will be deleted to keep an on topic atmosphere for this experiment.

6 comments:

John Hubertz said...

Well,

You see - I've got a bit of a quandry on that.

God (reality - at least that's how the Judaic sages from the time of Jesus spoke of God/the infinite)

Would appear to believe in me.

X files level - ark of the covenant type stuff.

Never cared much for religion, more of a Carlin fan.

Now, I believe in whatever "is" is.

And it has a wicked sense of timing, and sense of humor.

Curious type entity - really likes free choice and weirding my friends out.

Typical.

PS: Hit google maps for this address - highest spot in a flat township - 2800 block of Palisade Drive, 46806.

Then, read the first few pages of Illusions by Richard Bach.

Odd I was a mechanic who went to work for Ford in Service engineering.

Strange - but true.

~Mel~ said...

I still want to know what the experiment is before I participate.

~Mel~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Skoolz said...

Except that more people will die because of your make believe god Melissa.

Anonymous said...

I dont know what I believe in Bruce, I just dont know!

~Mel~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.