Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Best Movie You Never Heard Of

There's only a small chance you heard of a little gem of a movie named "WristCutters". Being a sucker for independent films, I usually just buy one from the local used DVD shop despite having not seen it. If I pass it, and it looks interesting, I just might buy it and hope that I didn't just waste my money. 99% of the time, I have fantastic luck.

This was one of those times. "WristCutters" is a strange idea to say the least. An ex-boyfriend kills himself, lands in a purgatory similar to the real world, and finds out his ex-girlfriend has also 'offed' herself. He then departs on a mild road trip with his awkward Russian friend to find his ex. Things get complicated when they decide to pick up a female hitchhiker and learn she is trying to find the People In Charge because her suicide was a mistake. Emotions do run rampant as very poignant issues about life, love, and heartbreak are revealed.

The soundtrack is fun. We hear the Russian's old band from when he was alive and get a taste of some pretty unique, yet catchy tunes. Despite the quirky dialog the characters share intermittently, the film successfully charmed me in every way imaginable. I was hesitant about taking the piss break I so desperately required because of how much this movie consumed me. Worth the buy and repeat viewings. So for those of you who would have never heard of this movie otherwise, I suggest you give it a try.

No comments: